Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Noble Deer- Thinking of You

Hi Again Friends!

Woohoo!  I am excited to announce that I am the Guest Designer for the Retro Rubber Challenge Blog for the new #42 Challenge to use brads or eyelets! 

One of the perks of playing along with the Retro Rubber Challenge Blog is that if you are chosen as the challenge favorite, you have the opportunity to guest design for one of their future challenges. 

This was a new challenge site for me so I first played along with the #rrbc40 Challenge and I am honored that they chose this  card as their favorite and now I have a chance to be their Guest Designer for Challenge #42:-)

To me brads or eyelets seem to be  perfect for masculine cards, so I pulled out retired Stampin’ Up! sets, retired Stampin' Up! paper and retired Stampin' Up! brads for a truly retro card!  

I have been a Stampin' Up! Demo  since 1999 (primarily a hobby/discount demo) and have kept all of my retired stamps.  I love that the Retro Rubber Challenge Blog promotes using your older stamps (at least one year old).

I know that I personally am guilty of buying stamps that either retire shortly after purchase, or I have so many new purchases that I have not had a chance to ink them up before they retire- I bought both of these sets because I loved the art work,  sentiment fonts, plus my dad was always an avid hunter and sportsman :-)

I was able to even incorporate a retro sketch from June 2011  at Splitcoaststampers #SC36 (I flipped the sketch and the SCS challenges never expire) plus I will also be linking to the current Simon Says Wednesday “Anything Goes” Challenge along with The Daily Marker 30 Day Coloring Challenge- Day #1 

If you have not already done so, I hope you will visit the Retro Rubber Challenge Blog as well as the other challenge sites to check out the wonderful inspiration from all of the Design Teams as well as their gallery entries!

To create this card:

Using ink from the Basic Black Stampin’ Archival Pad™, stamp the Noble Deer (retired Stampin’ Up circa 2004) image onto Whisper White cardstock.  

Don't you just love this deer image- I would never hunt them (but fully understand the need to hunt, as I noted, I was raised in a hunting family :-)) but I do love admiring deer in the fields and woods...such beautiful examples of God's creation!

Use an AquaPainter™ along with ink from Ranger® Tim Holtz® Distress Ink Pads- Stormy Sky, Crushed Olive, Mowed Lawn, Iced Spruce, Gathered Twigs and Tea Dye to color the image.

Add additional horizon lines with a Faber-Castell® Black XS Pitt Pen marker and heat with the Heat Tool to dry the watercolor.

Use the Big Shot™ with the My Favorite Things™ (MFT) Stitched Rectangle STAX Dies to cut out the image, mount onto Soft Suede cardstock and add the photo corners (created from the retired Photo Corner Punch-SU!).

Add the retired Brushed Brass brads to the photo corners and set the image aside.
For the background, use the Simply Scored™ Scoring Tool to score the diagonal lines on the Apple Cider Designer Paper (I just scored along the lines on the paper to mimic a quilting effect), trim and mount onto a piece of Tip Top Taupe cardstock, trim again and mount onto a piece of Soft Suede cardstock.

Add the 5/8” Rust Satin Ribbon and layer a piece of retired 3/8” Soft Suede Taffeta Ribbon over the Rust Satin Ribbon (wrap the ends behind the panel).

Mount the entire card front onto the Extra Thick Whisper White card base.

Mount the focal image onto the card front with dimensional foam and add the 5/8” Rust Triple Satin Ribbon bow along with the Antique Brad in the center (I used Hot Glue to add this bow so it will be securely attached).

Ink the sentiment from Sincere Salutations (retired Stampin’ Up circa 2005) with ink from the Basic Black Stampin’ Archival Pad™, stamp onto Whisper White cardstock, heat set with the heat tool.

Use an AquaPainter™ with ink from Ranger® Tim Holtz® Crushed Olive, Mowed Lawn and Iced Spruce- just brush across the sentiment, die cut with the MFT Stitched Rectangle STAX Dies and mount onto Soft Suede cardstock.

Cut the tiny photo corners by hand and add to the corners, mount the sentiment to the card front with dimensional foam to finish off the card.

Stamp Sets:  Noble Deer (2004), Sincere Salutations (2005)- both retired Stampin’ Up!

Ink: Basic Black Stampin’ Archival Pad™, Ranger® Tim Holtz® Distress Ink Pads- Stormy Sky, Crushed Olive, Mowed Lawn, Iced Spruce, Gathered Twigs and Tea Dye, Faber-Castell® Black XS Pitt Pen marker

Paper:  Whisper White, Soft Suede, Tip Top Taupe; retired Apple Cider Designer Paper (2007 Stampin’ Up!)

Accessories: Big Shot™, MFT Stitched Rectangle STAX Dies, AquaPainter™, retired Stampin’ Up! items- Photo Corner Punch, Antique Brad, Brass Brads, 3/8” Soft Suede Taffeta Ribbon; 5/8” Rust Satin Ribbon (from my stash)


Thanks again for visiting- I hope I have inspired you to pull out some of your older stamps and come play along with us at the Retro Rubber Challenge Blog ! 

10 comments:

Debbie Mageed said...

Oh, Julie, your card is stunning! I absolutely love the natural feel of this card and adding the brads really does make it seem more masculine. Your color choices are perfect! Thank you so much for being our guest designer and look forward to seeing which one of those retired stamp sets you use with us soon!

Neva Cole said...

Lovely job with the brads a truly masculine card. I love to watch the deer as well, and was raised by a hunting family too. Such a serene scene! Glad to have you as our GD for this challenge, and come play again soon!

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous card Julie, the image is beautiful and the colours and whole design is absolutely fabulous! :-)

thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
luv
Lols x x x

Heidi Weaver said...

Wow, Julie, what a wonderful image of a deer. I wish that set hadn't retired before I began with Stampin' Up! I love hunting (with my camera). Your scene is a lovely as any photograph and your watercolouring is "spot on". Beautifully done!

Katy McGloin said...

Julie, this card is breathtaking! I, too, wish Noble Deer had not retired before my introduction to Stampin' Up! I would love to have a copy of this stamp set. Your coloration is exquisite and the added textures and details are amazing! Love how you incorporated the brads into the vintage photo corners. Thank you so much for being our guest designer at Retro Rubber this week. Looking forward to seeing more of your retired stamps!!

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Hello Julie and thank you for being our guest designer for this week's challenge.
Your card is stunning, from the lay out to the beautiful image of that majestic deer that you colored beautifully and all the wonderful details that are a joy to see.
I'm pinning this magnificent card on my masculine board, thank you for sharing.
We hope you join us again in the gallery, I can't wait to see what other beautiful creations you delight us with.
Hugs,
Maria Rodriguez.

Christine Traversa said...

Glad you joined us! Wow what a lovely card! You put a lot of work into this and it really shows beautifully!❤️

Claire Grantham said...

Hey Julie, great to have you with us this time as the Guest Designer, beautiful card and superb use of brads. Hope to see you again in the Retro Rubber gallery. Cx DT

AO Creations said...

You have made such a beautiful card, love it!!! Hope you have enjoyed being a Guest Designer at Retro Rubber. Amy DT

Jane Knudsen said...

Hi Julie! We are equally excited to have you as the guest designer! This card is stunning and definitely shows your talent well! I am so happy we could showcase you! jane dt rrcb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...